Thursday, December 15, 2011

Workshop Tips You may Already Know -- Installing Metal Threaded Inserts, Correctly!


Recently, I was searching the web for something or other, (a video of a porcupine who likes corn? a Lance Link: Secret Chimp lunchbox?) and I came across this video.  At first I thought it would be about as useful as the instructions on a bar of soap.  I mean, C'mon how hard is this?  Sometimes the screwdriver breaks the top while you are bearing down, and they always seem a little tight, but this is intuitive, right?

I use threaded inserts when I attach table tops to their base, (this is called foreshadowing) and they look good when they don't snap in half.  Which for me, is too frequently.

Well, the tagline that shouted "YOU MAY BE DOING THIS INCORRECTLY!" drew me in -- and sure enough, I had been doing it incorrectly.  The video explains the correct technique much better than I could, and armed with this new knowledge, I sheepishly gave it a shot.  I'm happy to report that, indeed, that is not a screwdriver slot on top and that the drill press works a treat for providing even pressure while you turn the wrench.  Go figure.

So in case I'm not the last person to learn this, enjoy!  If I am, well, it won't be the first time I was a bit behind the times.  I'm still wounded by the experience of showing up on the first day of school with a Lance Link: Secret Chimp lunchbox and everybody else had switched to carrying their sandwiches in paper bags.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. I always thought the slot was for a screwdriver to but your explanation makes things very clear.

    I like the drill press table as its something on my to do list that never seems to get done. But my curiosity is really drawn to the column of the drill press. It appears you have a system for adjusting the table in exact increments. Could you explain?

    Thanks

    Jim Marsh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, I swiped that video from YouTube . . . I'm not sure what he has -- I thought it was a series of supports for a tray to hold bits and bobs, but that is just a guess. Sadly, my drill press is uncalibrated, with just the stock table. It is very utilitarian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These blogs are quite incredible that have provided the best knowledge.furniture york pa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, thank you already want to share a great article Yes

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for your post, your article very nice sist

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don’t waste my free time that’s why I read the informative things when I got this blog I really enjoyed reading this.website

    ReplyDelete